Sunday, February 23, 2020

Top 10 Best Hit Songs of 2010

About damn time I put this out. Yeah, I've been busy with sophomore year, some personal stuff, hitting writer's block a couple hundred times and the fact that everytime I try to write these I suddenly have 3 dogs blocking my computer screen while pinning my arms down while they start fighting each other while on top of me, I had very little time for this. But I did it. I kind of struggled making a top 10 list for this because, well, I couldn't find 10 songs that I love. So #10 & #9 are songs that I really like, but just don't love. And I know there some people going to ask "Where's Empire State of Mind & Fireflies?" Those were originally on the 2009 year end 100, so they'll have to wait. With that said, here are The Top 10 Best Hit Songs of 2010!





#10


Drake. You know who he is. You've heard at least 5 of his songs. You know what he does. Drake was the biggest artist of the entire 2010's. He tied Glee for most songs of the Hot 100, spent 48 weeks at #1, had over 50 Top 40 hits, and brought acts like Lil Baby into the spotlight. And yet, with all that said, it's still weird to think that one of his first big hits that would roll him into the force he is today, was this.


Drake - Find Your Love.jpg 
#10: "Find Your Love" (Drake) [YE: 32]

Granted, the reason why this was big had nothing to do with Drake. He sings the lyrics, he puts some kind of emotion, and that's it. What brings this to my best list is the production by Kanye West. Now, say what you will about Kanye as a rapper and public figure (which I do have my thoughts about), but you do not FUCK with his abilities as a producer. Kanye's beat are usually tight, pounding and glorious, and Find Your Love is no exception. The claps are thunderous, the piano line is somber yet infectious, the percussion is fantastic, and that "hey hey hey" in the background is the icing on this already tasty cake. It's like a combination of Heartless and Love Lockdown and I love it.

With all that said, why isn't it higher. Well, I like to think that I'm fairly decent at separating art from the artist, but knowing all of Drake and his drama to come, it's a bit awkward. Even with that, Find Your Love is a beautiful track that's majorly held up.


#9


There were some weird one hit wonders that got big in the 2010's. Keep in mind this was the decade we gave Gotye, Of Monsters and Men, Foster the People, MAGIC!, Passenger, WALK THE MOON and goddamn Portugal. The Man a hit. But out of all of them, I think this next artist takes the cake as weirdest one hit wonder. Not because I'm shocked as how she got a hit, but more to the fact as how she had ONLY one hit.


Orianthi ATOsingle.jpg 
#9: "According to You" (Orianthi) [YE: 55]

I mean, yes, rock in any and all forms was not very popular in 2010, but I don't see why she couldn't nab a 2nd in in 2011 or 2012. A pop rock love song with a kick ass guitar solo? My God, how did this girl not become a superstar?

Well, I can actually think of a few reasons. For one, she doesn't have much of a vocal presence, her presence is more towards her guitar ability. Then again, Justin Bieber doesn't really have a vocal personality either, and he was one of the biggest artists of the decade. That leads me to my 2nd reason, and that reason being that According to You is not a great song to be a first impression. Yes, it is a good song, but it's a song that feels more like it needs to be by someone more established. It's more of a "new album cycle 2nd single" kind of song, if you get what I mean. With that said, It's still a very charming song.

Oh, I'm sorry, have I barely talked about the actual song this entire time? Well, that's because this was the song that delayed this list so much. I have nothing to say about it over than I like it.


#8


We now get to the songs that I love on this list, starting with probably the most embarrassing song on this list...


Upper bust of a purple-haired woman staring at the upper left of the picture. She is standing in front of a blurred multicolored painting. In the upper left, the words "Teenage Dream" are written in neon light blue letters inside a neon pink sign. Below her neck, the words "Katy Perry" are written in candy-like pink letters. 
#8: "Teenage Dream" (Katy Perry) [YE: 17]


Oh, I know a few people that will make fun of me for this pick, but I don't care. Katy Perry is an interesting artist to talk about now in 2020. Starting off as eye candy who made silly pop songs with a surprising amount of edge to them at the start of the decade, to around 2012, when she and her then husband Russell Brand divorced and she starting making more personal songs, to 2017 when she pretty much had a meltdown and released an entire full of songs that focused more on being shocking than being good. Teenage Dream obviously fits into the first category, but it feels more in it's own category. Focusing more on the romantic emotions of being a teenager in love, along with being more guitar heavy. While Katy doesn't have a great voice, she has personality, a personality that in this case makes me believe that she's actually a teenager, hence making the story more believable and human. The production has held up for the most part, too. A simple guitar line, some glittery synths in the background, and percussion that...if I'm being honest I wish was a bit more forceful, but nevertheless effective. Even with all the shit that's happened to Katy Perry after this song, I still find it enjoyable.


#7



I like songs about family. Yes, yes, how shocking that someone born and raised in the midwest of America enjoys songs about family, what a revelation. I guess the fact that I'm specifically talking about a country song that deals with family doesn't exactly help my case, but I don't mind being predictable for the moment.



The House That Built Me (Official Single Cover) by Miranda Lambert.png 
#7: "The House That Built Me" (Miranda Lambert) [YE: 91]

The older I get, the more I tend to appreciate country music. I understand why it's a hated genre (especially for people outside the U.S.), for when done wrong, it can become a total cheesefest. But, country music has a sweet side, and that side usually focuses on family. For those who don't know, here in the U.S., the bondage of one's family is practically ingrained into our memory, so something like this would be incredibly nostalgic for us yeehaw folk, especially in the midwest, which I just so happen to have lived in for my whole life (if you count being born Ohio as the midwest, which it technically is). The House That Built Me is about Lambert visiting her old family home and living through her memories of her childhood. I've lived in my house for close to 10 years now, so I understand the connection.

"Up those stairs, in that little back bedroom

Is where I did my homework and I learned to play guitar"

I have key areas of my house, such as the recliner in the living room where I write everything I post and listen to new music, the basement is where I play my guitar and drums, along with some occasional gaming, but before that it was where I would play with my toys, and the backyard where I usually go to wind down after school with my dogs.

"If I could just come in I swear I'll leave

Won't take nothing but a memory

From the house that built me"

The phrase "won't take nothing but a memory" feels strangely cathartic to me. I hope one day after I graduate and get a real job, I could possibly go back to my old house in Cleveland, just to see how much has changed. I wonder if all those black marker dots I scattered on my old bedroom wall are still there. Overall, I enjoy The House That Built Me quite a bit.


#6


You know who's an underrated gem? Sara Bareilles. I mean, yeah, she had a ginormous hit in 2008 with Love Song, but other than that, no one knows any of her songs. That's probably because she's only had two other hits. One being Brave, which was...disappointing. I don't hate it (at least not anymore), but it's not all that good. Now, her other OTHER hit...



Sarabareilles-kingofanything.jpg 
#6: "King of Anything" (Sara Bareilles) [YE: 95]


I think I like this one because it sounds a lot like Love Song. Not so much as to be called a ripoff, but just enough. beautiful piano, energetic drums, simplistic but charming brass, and even a little bit of guitar in there. It all works wonders. It's a lot like Love Song in a lyrical sense, too. If I could describe Love Song in two sentences, it would be "The record label wants me to write them a love song? Oh, I'll write them a fucking love song!" King of Anything is also like that, this time towards unwanted love advice.

"I've had more unsolicited advice on my life than I care to mention, and this is how I dealt with it. It felt empowering to turn that frustration into music especially a song that doesn't even sound angry. That's sort of what 'Love Song' was as well. Apparently, I don't get over things very quickly.

-Sara Bareilles

Sara said that she turned her frustration of the love advice into music, and it shows. I think it's fairly safe for me to say that Sara Bareilles is one of the best lyricists currently working in music.

"You've got opinions, man

We're all entitled to 'em, but I never asked

So let me thank you for your time,

And try not to waste anymore of mine

And get out of here fast"

That is quite possibly the most polite way I've ever heard someone say "fuck off, asshole." The whole song is basically one big Canadian middle finger even though she's from California lol. It's a wonderful little gem of a song that's been ignored by far too many people.


#5


Much like One Hit Wonders, rock artists were very sparse in 2010. The biggest "rock" song being Hey, Soul Sister by Train, a song with probably some of the worst lyrics of 2010 but nowhere near the worst lyrics of Train's career. Other than that, there was Adam Lambert with Whataya Want from Me, and as someone who loves proper grammar, this title bothers me. I've seen Whataya Want from Me on a few best lists, but in my opinion, it doesn't rise above the okay tier. You may notice I'm leaving out one or two other rock songs from 2010, and of course, that means I put both of them on my best list. So let's start off with the comparatively lesser of the two, Neon Trees.


AnimalNeonTrees.jpg 
#5: "Animal" (Neon Trees) [YE: 61]

I fucking L O V E  Neon Trees. Their blend of pop perfection and rock'n'roll strut results in some of the most entertainingly silly pop rock you'll find, and Animal is no exception to that rule. On the surface, Animal is a traditional love song, but if you pay a bit more attention, it reveals itself as a situation of 2 people having some of the roughest, primal and full on brutal love there is. And yes, I said love, not sex. Most people's sex life may be able to be described as such, but here it's their entire relationship. They are a force to be reckoned with and one that will leave everything in the dust and I adore it. It's a type of song that could've been ripped straight from 80's new wave. Along with the subject matter, Animal has hooks for days. The iconic claps, the infectious guitar melody, Tyler Glenn's fantastic performance that screams pure chaotic happiness, to the chorus, this song has everything that I'd want in a Neon Trees song.


#4


And on the topic of 80's inspired music...


Gaga in the upper left corner, holds up her right hand with her index finger extended. She wears headdress made of several blue telephone dials. Beyoncé is in the lower right corner, wearing a blue coat with gold tassels on the shoulders. 
#4: "Telephone" (Lady Gaga ft. Beyonce) [YE: 16]

I mean, you knew Lady Gaga had to show up somewhere on this list, right? One of the most influential acts of the early 2010's? Is practically required by law to put at least 1 song of hers on your 2010 and 2011 best list. I chose Telephone over Bad Romance because, while Bad Romance is the more well remembered song, Telephone is the more gaudy. When 2010 Lady Gaga and Beyoncé team up, you sit your ass down and watch the fireworks that's about to happen, and boy are those fireworks a show here. There is no subtlety in this song, it's 100% pure bombast and off the walls insanity, including the video. Yes, there is the whole secret message of this song being about Gaga's relationship with her work, but I personally like to ignore that and take it straightforward because I find that far more enjoyable. Gaga and Beyoncé have a bucket load of chemistry and the production, while a bit dated, gives off enough energy to keep it fresh. In other words, Telephone is one damn good call for help. I'm sor-


#3


It was a very close call between this, my #2, and my #1, but before we get to the last two, here's that other rock song I was talking about.


ParamoreTheOnlyExceptionCover.jpg 
#3: "The Only Exception" (Paramore) [YE: 93]

My relationship with song is...complicated, to say the least. I won't go into detail, since it involves my private life in a way I'm not ready to talk about openly yet, but even with that, I think this song is fantastic. Hayley Williams has always been a powerful singer, and here is no, for lack of a better word, exception. In the beginning when it's just an acoustic guitar, she's softer, more reserved, and yet still gives enough presence to keep her in the forefront. Then the drums kick in and she becomes more emotional, a bit of a heavier bombast in her voice, and then everything kicks in for the bridge and she's let everything loose. She sings as if she's practically in tears, trying to deal with all the emotions going through her head as they're all to much and then...it calms down. It's stripped back to the guitar and a delicate delivery. Then those drums slowly start pounding and explosion gets a second wind in one of the most glorious moments on the entire year end. I'm more than on my way to believing, and with all of my emotions at the forefront, I say it's time we head to the final 2.

#2


As I said before, I feel as that the older I get, the more and more country music starts to appeal to me and I don't know why I'm still talking you already know what the song is just show it.


Need You Now.jpg 
#2: "Need You Now" (Lady Antebellum) [YE: 2]


Y'all thought this would be my #1, didn't you? I thought so too for the longest time. I wrestled between this, The Only Exception and what eventually became my #1 for about 4 months before finally coming to a conclusion.

With that said, it still shocks me that this was the 2nd biggest song of 2010 in the U.S. Something like this, so downbeat and depressing, being the 2nd biggest song of 2010, the year of the club boom, feels unreal. Like I made this up and in reality it didn't even chart. But no, it's real, and I couldn't be happier. When people look back on country music in the early 2010's, this is going to be THE example. Need You Now is about 2 ex's, both drunk and contemplating dialing each other up, just to have someone there to comfort them, they don't care who it is, they just need someone, goddamn anyone. It is depressing, it is somber, and it is...beautiful. A topic like this can be tricky, but Lady Antebellum make it work in the most perfect way possible. The guitars are slow and quiet in the verses, then come alive in the chorus, showing both character's desperation hitting its peak. The matter of this being a duet enhances the emotions as well. They're BOTH going through this at the same time and are contemplating calling each other. And then everything builds up into one of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful guitar solos I've ever heard. Country music may not be for everyone, but I do want everyone reading this to listen to this song. Even if you don't like it, it's a song that deserves to be heard.

Before we get to my #1, let's look at a few honorable mentions

DJ Khaled All i do is Win Ludacris TPain SnoopDogg RickRoss.jpg 
H.M. 1: "All I Do Is Win" (DJ Khaled ft. T-Pain, Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, & Rick Ross) [YE: 79]

The first time I heard this song, I laughed out loud for about five minutes straight.


Usherdjgotusfallininlove Pitbull.jpg 
H.M. 2: "DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love" (Usher ft. Pitbull) [YE: 22]

No, I'm not talking about the goddamn Minecraft parody song, Alex.


Haven't Met You Yet cover.png 
H.M. 3: "Haven't Met You Met" (Michael Bublé) [YE: 39]

Aww...

Meet Me Halfway.jpg 
H.M. 4: "Meet Me Halfway" (The Black Eyed Peas) [YE: 58]

The production is fantastic, but the lyrics are a bit dopey.


Luda-chick-bad.jpg 
H.M. 5: "My Chick Bad" (Ludacris ft. Nicki Minaj) [YE: 56]

This should've been the bigger hit from Battle of the Sexes. Oh well...

#1


Look, as much as I love Need You Now, it's not a song I can always listen to. It is an incredibly emotional song and that's sometimes too much for me. The same can also be said for The Only Exception. This song is different. This is a song I can put on at all times and have it immediately put a smile on my face. It is a song of pure, unfiltered happiness, and it is, without a doubt, my favorite hit song of 2010.


A picture of B.o.B standing up on the left of the image while laughting, with the words "B.o.B feat. Bruno Mars Nothin' on You" with capital font on the right of B.o.B 
#1: "Nothin' on You" (B.o.B ft. Bruno Mars) [YE: 11]


Every aspect of this song screams "adorable." B.o.B's greatest strength was his likeability, and this is the best showcase of it. Through the bouncy and upbeat production, to Bruno's soaring chorus, everything adds to B.o.B's favor. It's a song about being in love with 1 girl, and 1 girl only. He sounds so in love with her that he flat out admits that he could go after anyone, but what's the point? He's found the best. There isn't a girl better for him. He is full-on lovestruck and wants to announce the the world about his feelings towards his girlfriend, and it is the cutest thing I've ever heard. Nothin' on You is the closest thing to personified happiness, and for that, it is the Best Hit Song of 2010! Thank you all for reading, I turn 16 in a few days, and I'll see you later.

Other Great Songs by Artists on Here:
"Bad Romance" (Lady Gaga) [YE: 8]
"Magic" (B.o.B ft. Rivers Cuomo) [YE: 63]

No comments:

Post a Comment